Call us on 0800 111 4299 to discuss your habitation check today Call us on 0800 111 4299

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Motorhomes and Caravans

News & Advice

Every year there are around 25 deaths from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in England and Wales. Motorhome and caravan users are an at-risk group because we use the things that can cause carbon monoxide poisoning in enclosed spaces. As such you should be aware of the basic facts and the things you need to do to protect your family. The following article draws heavily from the NHS website and the useful information provided there.

What is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas that has no smell or taste. Breathing it in can make you unwell, and it can kill if you're exposed to high levels. After carbon monoxide is breathed in, it enters your bloodstream and mixes with haemoglobin (the part of red blood cells that carry oxygen around your body), to form carboxyhaemoglobin. When this happens, the blood is no longer able to carry oxygen, and this lack of oxygen causes the body’s cells and tissue to fail and die.

The Causes

Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, coal and wood don't burn fully. Burning charcoal, running cars and the smoke from cigarettes also produce carbon monoxide gas. Gas, oil, coal and wood are sources of fuel used in many household appliances, including:

  • boilers
  • gas fires
  • central heating systems
  • water heaters
  • cookers
  • open fires

Incorrectly installed, poorly maintained or poorly ventilated household appliances – such as cookers, heaters and central heating boilers – are the most common causes of accidental exposure to carbon monoxide. The risk of exposure to carbon monoxide may also be higher in motorhomes and caravans.

The Symptoms

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning aren't always obvious, particularly during low-level exposure. A tension-type headache is the most common symptom of mild carbon monoxide poisoning. Other symptoms include:

  • dizziness
  • nausea (feeling sick) and vomiting
  • tiredness and confusion
  • stomach pain
  • shortness of breath and difficulty breathing

The symptoms of exposure to low levels of carbon monoxide can be similar to those of food poisoning and flu. But unlike flu, carbon monoxide poisoning doesn't cause a high temperature (fever). The symptoms can gradually get worse with prolonged exposure to carbon monoxide.

Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

  • If you buy a motorhome or caravan, have it checked for carbon monoxide leakage by a qualified engineer before using it.
  • Make sure any new systems or appliances you have installed that might cause carbon monoxide poisoning are installed by a qualified engineer.
  • Have the habitation area of your motorhome or caravan checked and serviced by a qualified engineer on an annual basis.
  • Have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted and serviced by a qualified engineer.

More Information

You can get more information on this important topic at the NHS website here.

Share this article

ADVICE CENTRE

20/09/2018

Winterising Your Caravan or Motorhome. Do You Really Need it and What Does Winterisation Include?

To winterise or not to winterise? Here's what winterisation entails and an explanation of the problems it can prevent.

Read Article

ADVICE CENTRE

21/08/2018

Always Get a Pre-Purchase Inspection Before Buying

The case for getting a pre-purchase inspection when you are buying a motorhome or caravan is simple; it will find any hidden problems.

Read Article

ADVICE CENTRE

09/07/2018

Why You Should Use an Approved Workshop Scheme Engineer for Your Habitation Check

The Approved Workshop Scheme is a joint enterprise between the National Caravan Council, The Camping and Caravanning Club and The Caravan and Motorhome Club. The Scheme, which was originated in 1978, was set up with the express purpose of raising the standard of engineering work carried out on motorhomes and caravans to a higher standard. In order to be accepted on to the Scheme, all workshops must pass an annual inspection by a team of independent assessors and must comply with the Scheme's rigorous standards.

Read Article

ADVICE CENTRE

02/07/2018

Damp! Why So Common and What To Do About It.

Damp is a very common problem in motorhomes and caravans. Most motorhome and caravan owners are aware of the problem of water ingress. But did you know that it affects nearly all motorhomes and caravans to some degree over their lifetime?

Read Article

ADVICE CENTRE

31/05/2018

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Motorhomes and Caravans

Every year there are around 25 deaths from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning in England and Wales. Motorhome and caravan users are an at-risk group because we use the things that can cause carbon monoxide poisoning in enclosed spaces.

Read Article

NEWS STORY

15/05/2018

Motorhome Habitation Checks - A Closer Look

You may be familiar with the term habitation check, but do you know what actually gets checked during the inspection of your motorhome?

Read News Story